Thursday, April 22, 2010

I like it hot! Just a little something to spice up your Thursday!

You know what they say.  "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"  (Side note: Did you know that the originator of this quote was Harry S. Truman?  Don't say you didn't learn anything from me!)  As far as chili goes, I like it hot (spicy that is, though I don't want to eat cold chili so temperature hot is needed as well).  Spicy is where it is at!

If I'm being honest, I like a lot of food spicy.  The spicier the better.  If it's not burning your lips, then it's not hot enough...lol.  The need for spice has kind of been a recent development in my palate, maybe over the last year or so, much to my husband's dismay.  He likes food to be spiced more on the lukewarm side, but he's trying his best to keep up with me.  He told me that he is actually scared at how hot our food will have to be to satisfy me when I become pregnant...lol.  He's too cute. :)

Anyways...I decided to make chili this afternoon for tonight's dinner. (Hey the best chili needs time to rest.  Ever notice that chili tastes better the next day?  That's because the flavors have had time to meld together and get all super yummy.)  I usually use that McCormick Original Chili Seasoning and add to it, but I didn't have any on hand and I was too lazy to make a trip to the store...lol.  So I Googled around and found a recipe that sounded similar to what was in the seasoning mix.  It took a little tasting and additions here and there, but I think that I have perfected it!  Drum roll please....


Now that is what I call chili!  Yum-o fo' sho! :)  I know you all want the recipe.  Since I'm feeling spicy and because I love you, I'll share it...lol.

Arielle's Chili
1 lb ground beef or turkey (turkey is usually sold in 1.25lbs, which is fine.  Just throw it all in.)
2 Louisiana Hot Links, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 16oz can tomato sauce
1 16oz can kidney beans
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup frozen corn (optional)
3/4 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)
Chalulas hot sauce, to taste (optional)

Brown beef (or turkey), sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.  If using beef, drain.  Stir in the dry ingredients, tomato sauce, and kidney beans.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add in the corn, mushrooms, and hot sauce to taste.  Simmer for about 10 more minutes.

Serve over rice and top with shredded cheddar cheese.  Take a bite and realize what has been missing in your life!  No more Zippy's chili for you, this is the major leagues now!

*You can control the heat by how much or how little hot sauce you add in.  If you are feeling REALLY spicy, you could chop up a few jalapenos and throw those babies in.  Now that's spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment