Tuesday, June 8, 2010

No time to cook, but you want to eat healthy? Here's the recipe for you!

I love recipes that are quick and easy to throw together.  Don't get me wrong, the occasional souffle or panna cotta is fun to make, but on most nights I'm lucky just to get dinner on the table before 7pm.  Here's a little something that I threw together the other day:

 (Sorry I ate a lot of it before I thought to take a photo.  Oops...lol.)

Quick and Dirty Veggie Pasta
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin slices
1 container of mushrooms, sliced (you can use less if you want, but I like a lot of mushrooms)
1 16oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine 
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (start with the 1/2 teaspoon, taste the sauce and add as needed)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil for a bit and throw in the onion and garlic.  Stir, cooking until onion is soft but not browned.  Add in the bell pepper and cook for a few minutes longer.  Add in the tomato sauce, wine, mushrooms, and seasonings.  Taste the sauce and add more seasoning if needed.  Simmer for as long as you have time for.  Serve over whole wheat pasta.

Note: Cook your pasta while you're making the sauce.  That way everything will be done pretty much at the same time.  Also if you want a more saucy sauce, add another can of tomato sauce and a little more seasoning to taste.

Voila!  Dinner is served!

The best thing about this sauce is that it is so basic.  You can pretty much use it as a base and add what you want to it.  I added some steamed broccoli and some Costco rotisserie chicken to my pasta.  (What can I say?  My family likes meat, but I could have eaten it with just veggies and been perfectly fine.)  Even some cayenne pepper or some red chili flakes would taste great in this sauce.

I also topped it with some mozzarella.   For shame!  I know I shouldn't eat cheese, but I can't help myself!  I love it too much.  But it was only a little...so I think it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment